Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Thomas Jefferson Education

We are going today to finish getting ready for the church's Children's carnival. Busy weekend.

I am finishing "Thomas Jefferson Education." I am not really impressed.

The author is a college professor and obviously still believes the "public schools saved the poor from illiteracy"

Bologna.

Prior to ps being imported to this country we had a 98% literacy rate. Now it is 85%. the schools are flat failing. Even the poor were very much better off before.

See http://www.johntaylorgatto.com/chapters/index.htm

The whole book is online to read for free.

That nit-pick aside, the author advocates lots of reading of classics, discussions, teachers leading the students in learning not pushing them, high standards and freedom to explore. At its core, basically the same thing as Charlotte Mason, unit studies, TTTclassical, even some unschoolers. Very good ideas, but not really anything new. He quotes often from Alan bloom's "Closing of the American Mind." That was a VERY hard chew, but so full of meat it was very satisfying.

Basically, I would recommend TJ-ed to those just starting out on homeschooling ( I will be incorporating some of his suggestions into my school), but do follow it up with something meatier, Teaching the Trivium, Charlotte Mason (Karen Androle's books about Charlotte Mason are much cheaper and easier to find. These are what I have read), or some of the other "classics" of homeschooling.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I love to talk to my readers.

I do ask that there be no anonymous commenters, though. If I am brave enough to put my name on this blog, you should be too:-)

Please keep it civil. Remember we are all human and make mistakes, and that since we can't see each other's faces or hear each other's tone of voice, it is very hard to get the emotion in what we are saying each other. Use lots of emoticons! :-) And show grace and love to each other.