Saturday, July 08, 2006

Dumbing Down

So much has happened.

A lightening storm started two wild fires by mom and dads new house. The two fires eventually joined into one and burned more than 6000 acres. Due to the work of two neighbors with water trucks and bulldozers, no homes were lost. Thank the Lord!

Dad will be laying our new flooring in the dinning room Monday. That will be nice.

I am going back to traditional/ classical school. I am just not a unit study person. I see how that method is superior, but it just doesn't work for me. If you want more info on unit studies though http://unitstudies.com/about/index.cfm has some excellent books.

Church camp out next week and probably new carpet laid in the bedrooms the next. Probably the last of the flooring will go down the week after that.

Dishwasher and washing machine are acting up.

Read "A Gown Of Spanish Lace" by Jannette Okae. Good story, as all of hers are.

I also have read "Dumbing Down Our Children." Very much like many other books along the same line. My favorite of this type is still John Taylor Gatto's "The Underground History Of American Education." $35.00 in hardback or free at http://www.johntaylorgatto.com/chapters/index.htm.

As for "Dumbing Down Our children," it had a lot of information that other books have not. I find each of these books has a different perspective and fills in different blanks on how exactly we got here, educationally. Other books on the same subject are Dumbing Us Down, Thomas Jefferson Education, Why Johnny Can't Read, Why Johnny Can't Tell Right from Wrong. There are others whose titles I can't remember just now. And since most of my books are packed up to get them out of the way of the new flooring, I can't just go look.

I will see if I can finish the horse on mom's wall today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I love to talk to my readers.

I do ask that there be no anonymous commenters, though. If I am brave enough to put my name on this blog, you should be too:-)

Please keep it civil. Remember we are all human and make mistakes, and that since we can't see each other's faces or hear each other's tone of voice, it is very hard to get the emotion in what we are saying each other. Use lots of emoticons! :-) And show grace and love to each other.