Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Evil Christmas Trees

There are many Christians who are stopping the use of Christmas Trees. In fact, they are no longer celebrating Christmas altogether but that is another post.

Many look at Jeremiah 10:3-4 and decide that Christmas trees are unbiblical.

"For the customs of the people [are] vain: for [one] cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe.They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not."

However, the Message Bible words it like this "An idol is nothing but a tree chopped down, then shaped by a woodsman's ax. They trim it with tinsel and balls, use hammer and nails to keep it upright."

Obviously this is talking about idol worship.

I like the way Mark Driscol words how we should approach different issues like this one; We need to receive, redeem, or reject everything from our culture.

If it is good and righteous as it is we simply receive it (like Thanksgiving, a specific time to give thanks for a year's worth of blessings.)

If it can be changed to bring glory to God, we should do that (like Easter and Christmas which can be used to bring attention to God's plan of salvation.)

If it is so bad we can't possibly bring something good out of it we should reject it (like prostitution.)

Now i am not going to bow down and worship our tree which the Bible specifically forbids (and was the subject of the quoted verses.)

So why do I have a Christmas tree in my home?

The tree itself reminds me of my Savior "whom they slew and hanged on a tree:" Acts 10:39

The lights remind me that "Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life." John 8:12

The red ornaments remind me of Jesus "In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;" Colosians 1 :14

The white ornaments remind me of His purity: "For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as [we are, yet] without sin." Hebrews 4:15

The Blue ornaments remind me of Truth: "And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." John 8:32

The gold ornaments remind me of the value of Jesus "And he hath on [his] vesture and on his thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS." Revelation 19:16


The Angel on the top of my tree reminds me of the angels who heralded His birth: "And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying; Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men." Luke 2:13,14

The star on the top of many trees reminds me of the star that led the shepherds to Christ; "... and, lo, the star, which they saw in the east, went before them, till it came and stood over where the young child was." Matthew 2:9

That tree in my living room is not an Ido I bow down and worship, but a reminder of my Jesus, the One I DO worship with all my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I love to talk to my readers.

I do ask that there be no anonymous commenters, though. If I am brave enough to put my name on this blog, you should be too:-)

Please keep it civil. Remember we are all human and make mistakes, and that since we can't see each other's faces or hear each other's tone of voice, it is very hard to get the emotion in what we are saying each other. Use lots of emoticons! :-) And show grace and love to each other.