Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Please help me

My laptop is dying. At least it has the decency to warn me. the screen blanks out occasionally, keys are falling off, the charging cord doesn't like to stay in.

To add to the frustration, the laptop used just for the kids school is also dying, though not as badly. keys have fallen off (unfortunately a and e among them.) the mousepad is, uhhh, clumsy? sticky? anyway...

I have been looking at the bewildering aray of choices out there. The simplest might be to just pick a cheapy used one (or two) off of Amazon. We have had failry good luck with that. I can get one for about $130.

But I noticed at Target the other day that a brand new, though tiny, laptop was only $250. Its worth something to have a machine no one else has ever messed with and has totally up to date software.

Then I began looking at tablets. Eye, eye, eye, eye, eye....

So here's what I need from you: What device(s) would you recommend I buy?

laptop 1: Used for word processing (I write my books on it), facebook, blogging, maybe music and the occasional youtube. I store all my books on a thumb drive.

laptop 2: Used for light word processing (need thumbdrive port), school DVD and computer programs, searching Amazon (though I have considered disabling this feature so if internet wasn't included I am ok with that.)

I'm not too concerned about speed on any of these. Would a tablet with a bluetooth keyboard work?

3 comments:

  1. The tiny computers may not have a disk drive so check that before you buy. The memory is of course smaller, so running some things can be slow. They will do word processing, access internet and run most programs as long as you can get them on there.
    I use a tablet at work. I do like it. I would definitely add a keyboard because typing on the tablet itself is not as easy as a keyboard. Be careful with used ones. Not always sure what has been done to/on them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and tablets, do not have disk drives so that may be a big consideration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you:-) I will consider whether I need a disk drive or not.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I love to talk to my readers.

I do ask that there be no anonymous commenters, though. If I am brave enough to put my name on this blog, you should be too:-)

Please keep it civil. Remember we are all human and make mistakes, and that since we can't see each other's faces or hear each other's tone of voice, it is very hard to get the emotion in what we are saying each other. Use lots of emoticons! :-) And show grace and love to each other.