Sunday, May 04, 2008

My husband the prostitute

We added it up and we have 52 people that “attend” our church. Most, however, only make it to a couple of meetings per month out of nine. This morning we had sixteen people present: ten sleep in my house!
This was my husband’s statement from the pulpit while leading the preliminaries;

“I feel like a prostitute on 4th street. No one loves me. I am just standing around waiting until someone decides they feel like buying my services.”

Having grown up as a pastor’s kid I can tell you that this is just how the ministry of your church feels every time you miss a service. Our ability to worship our King is hampered by each empty chair, especially the ones that have someone “assigned” to them. You know what I mean; You always sit in the second seat of the third row, so no one else will sit there. When you are not there, your seat is screamingly empty. We need you. Even if you never say a word or do anything in service, we NEED YOU! Your presence feeds us spiritually.

It is so very hard to prepare services every week and have no one show up. To love people and know they don’t love you enough to be there.

It is like cooking a twelve course supper with a specially set table with your best china….and your guests decide to go to a movie instead- without even calling to tell you. This is why we burned out at our first church. I have watched the disappointment on my father’s and mother’s faces my whole life, and now I see it on my hubby’s too.

Yes, I am crying while typing this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I love to talk to my readers.

I do ask that there be no anonymous commenters, though. If I am brave enough to put my name on this blog, you should be too:-)

Please keep it civil. Remember we are all human and make mistakes, and that since we can't see each other's faces or hear each other's tone of voice, it is very hard to get the emotion in what we are saying each other. Use lots of emoticons! :-) And show grace and love to each other.