Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Kindle Hymnal

(This will make more sense if you understand that each child picks a book for me to read before bedtime. Little ones pick "Cat in the Hat" type books. The older children pick chapter books and I read about 5min in each, every night. Then I read a chapter from the Bible, we sing a hymn, pray, and go to bed)

After we lost the cover and part of the first chapter of our third copy of "Understood Betsey" I got the idea to find it on Hubby's Kindle (free-$2) and just read it to the dc that way (It gets picked every once in a while for bedtime reading, this time by Jackie, my 7yo). While there I downloaded a Bible, too, so I wouldn't have to juggle a full sized KJV while juggling a tired Baby. The hymnal I use is getting pretty shabby so I looked for something I could use on Kindle to replace it too. I discovered a wide range of resources, but unfortunately the only thing I could really use only had 101 songs and cost $10. I'm way too cheap to pay that much for a Kindle book, so I'll just juggle the real one for a while longer.

But I ran into an article that pointed out something interesting; 150 years ago devout Christians carried around their Prayerbook/Hymnal everywhere they went. We are fast returning to this! We just carry ours the same place we carry our address book, games, music, pictures, and....oh yeah....phone.

Churches will return to using hymnals, too. Can you picture the day when the pre-service announcement slide-show won't remind you to turn your phone off, but give you the address to download the church hymnal?

As the worship leader for several years I really balked at moving to just Power Point for all our songs, even after our favorite hymns were put up there. It ruined the spontaneity of being able to pick whatever the Spirit called for at a moments notice. Electronic hymnals would return that. We could have thousands of songs available at a touch of a button for everyone to access....in custom fonts and sizes no less! And with a large tablet, the piano should be able to move right along with us:-)

Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I love to talk to my readers.

I do ask that there be no anonymous commenters, though. If I am brave enough to put my name on this blog, you should be too:-)

Please keep it civil. Remember we are all human and make mistakes, and that since we can't see each other's faces or hear each other's tone of voice, it is very hard to get the emotion in what we are saying each other. Use lots of emoticons! :-) And show grace and love to each other.