Tuesday, January 29, 2013

My mom's surgery is today.

 All prayers are appreciated.

"There is no great loss without some small gain" - Caroline Ingles, Laura Ingles Wilder's mother.

The good thing about mom's surgery is my brother, his fiance, (from So Ca) and my uncle Jesse (from Kansas) have come to support her. So I expect to have a great time visiting during the surgery and over supper tonight:-)

Toddlers are so strange. This morning while nursing while asleep, Joshua evidently wanted to see how much trouble he could get into at the same time. Grabbing hair, tugging on clothes, squirming, etc. Made it hard to doze.

Hubby was late home due to an accident on the road. I pray for his safety regularly. Thankfully he has never been involved in anything major, but other people's accidents always re-energize my prayers.

Kids are cranky this AM. Sigh.

I have always believed in the incredible importance of HomeMakers. There is NO more important job in the world.

This doesn't mean I'm good at it.

I was not one of those girls born with a feather duster in one hand and a spatula in the other, (though a couple of my daughters were, strange creatures that they are). No, I was born with a horse bridle in one hand and a mucking fork in the other. I would find it much more fun to be out wrestling a steer in the mud than baking a cake.

But my job as Mom and HomeMaker is so important it is worth learning to do and even enjoy.

I am doing better all the time, but I still have a long way to go, unfortunately.

Our recent stay at my mom and dad's (due to a frozen pipe) did tell me it's not all my fault, though. Their house is twice the size of ours and only a few years old. This made all the difference in how hard it was to keep clean. Seems part of my sense of failure in my own home is because it's impossible to make old walls look new. Go figure.

(yeah, yeah, I know I could paint them. but they are old mobile home paneling/wall paper, so this would mean sanding, taping, mudding,  priming then painting, all of which takes money [minor annoyance] and time. I can't run a house in the midst of all that mess and it would take too long to accomplish this to survive without running the house. So it won't be done anytime soon)

Checking out a new grammar program: Analytical Grammar. Anyone know anything about it?

Ok, waste that goes out the door:
  • All foods feed something. Dog gets first choice, then they go to the chickens. Cuts the feed bills and adds entertainment value to the hen's diet.
  • All non-edible compostibles go to the garden (i.e. orange peels)
  • paper with no color dyes can also go to the garden. Does anyone know if the color dyes in newspapers is still toxic? Our local papers use color on every page. Blahhh.
  • I think we will use cardboard boxes to cover the paths between the garden beds this year.
  • Ideally, wood waste would be reused as shelves or animal pens then burned in the fireplace. We don't have a fireplace, so it just sits for now.
  • Metal can be recycled, but it often takes as many resources to recycle as it does to just mine new, so you're not "saving Mother Earth" (a rather pagan idea in the first place) but just reducing the cost of hauling to the dump.
  • Ditto the plastics.
  • Most plastic, all Styrofoam, and colored paper gets hauled to the dump. The more that is produced at home, the less of these there are.
We haul our own garbage off. It's cheaper, and more importantly, the stray dogs can't get into our trash truck like they did the trash can set out by the curb...

EVERY WEEK!

We also had a problem with our own dog dumping our cans EVERYDAY.

Tossing it all up in the pickup puts it out of his reach and keeps it away from the strays to boot. A run to the dump once a month takes care of it all and costs half what trash service cost. And going to the dump once a month takes less work than running the cans out to the road once a week. (though I delegate both to children now that I have two adult kids at home.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I love to talk to my readers.

I do ask that there be no anonymous commenters, though. If I am brave enough to put my name on this blog, you should be too:-)

Please keep it civil. Remember we are all human and make mistakes, and that since we can't see each other's faces or hear each other's tone of voice, it is very hard to get the emotion in what we are saying each other. Use lots of emoticons! :-) And show grace and love to each other.