Monday, July 11, 2011

Tolerence vs Love

Amos 63-6 Woe to you who are rushing headlong to disaster!


Catastrophe is just around the corner!

Woe to those who live in luxury

and expect everyone else to serve them!

Woe to those who live only for today,

indifferent to the fate of others!

Woe to the playboys, the playgirls,

who think life is a party held just for them!

Woe to those addicted to feeling good—life without pain!

those obsessed with looking good—life without wrinkles!

They could not care less

about their country going to ruin.



7But here's what's really coming:

a forced march into exile.

They'll leave the country whining,

a rag-tag bunch of good-for-nothings.


I guess I have to admit I am not tolerant (as if you couldn't tell, lol). I love people too much to be tolerant.

A ParableA man is walking towards a very busy freeway, say, one of those clover leafs in southern California that sees thousands of cars a day. The man has a blindfold on.

One observer comments, "I think that man is heading for trouble, but who am I to judge. Maybe he is testing a new navigation device, or his wife just left him, or he can really see through the blind-fold. Anyway, it's not my business to try to change him. This may be the right course for him. Who am I to judge." They then whistle a tune as they walk on their way. This person is tolerant.

Another observer says, "Oh my gosh!!! Hey, buddy! You are heading for the freeway! You are going to be killed! Stop! Don't go!" They then run over and try everything they can to turn the man around, or better yet, take the blindfold off their face.This person loves the man.

And just for comparison, a third person sees the man, points, laughs, and says "Look at him! He's going to die! Isn't that hilarious?" And sits back to enjoy the "entertainment." This person is a hater.

Do you think Amos in the scripture above is tolerant or loving to Israel? Or is he hateful?


I think think Amos loved his nation a great deal. He loved them to much to just sit back and watch God destroy them without at least trying to turn them around.

God tells the minor prophets repeatedly that if Israel and Judah will repent, turn from their sins and worship Him, He will spare them the hurt and tragedy coming. They refused to listen.




Look again at those words in the scripture that I bolded. Doesn't this describe America today? If God is the same yesterday, today and forever then His standards of righteousness are the same. If His standards are the same, we're in trouble.

Serious trouble.


I love my country. I don't want to see her destroyed.

I love my neighbors and my friends (including e-friends:-). I don't want to see one of you go to hell. I want you to be my neighbor in Heaven.

Yet I see my nation and many of those I love ignorantly disobeying God, heading for that freeway. How can I possibly sit by and watch? I must warn everyone I can what God says in His word. I CAN'T  "tolerate" such dangerous behavior.

I love you too much.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I love to talk to my readers.

I do ask that there be no anonymous commenters, though. If I am brave enough to put my name on this blog, you should be too:-)

Please keep it civil. Remember we are all human and make mistakes, and that since we can't see each other's faces or hear each other's tone of voice, it is very hard to get the emotion in what we are saying each other. Use lots of emoticons! :-) And show grace and love to each other.