Saturday, November 14, 2009

Sicko update

We are all doing better. Mom, Hubby and I still coughing and not up to snuff, but better. Children seem over it.

Busy day today; possible homeschool consult, grocery shopping, etc.

While I was sick, I didn't feel up to doing any actual writing (so my Simple Bible, Family and Church, and End is Closer blogs have suffered). but I felt too good to lay down. So I took a lot of polls on faceBook. One
of which has lead to a discussion with an atheist about evolution verses creation. Very interesting mental challenge to prove your point about Jesus and creation without using the Bible. You can't use the Bible in these discussions becasue that is circular reasoning; I believe this becasue the Bible says so. The Bible is true because I believe it. You have to first prove your point with other methods, then use your sucessful points to prove the Bible is true. Then, hopefully, you can prove the need to repent and serve God from that.

I think all christians should study logic. Logic is one dialect of the language of Reason (algebra and Latin are two others). If you start with true statements and apply proper logic, you will always come up with a true conclusion. Example: A dog is a mammal. All mammals have body hair. Thus all dogs have body hair. However if you begin with bad starting statements you end up with bad conclusions: All mammals give live births, The platypus lays eggs, The platypus us not an animal. Good logic. Wrong starting stement (most, but not all, mammals give live birth). Of course there is the all too present bad logic: All dogs are mammals, all cats are mammals, all dogs are cats (this is bad form and will allways yeild a wrong answer.) Common logic mistakes are the Strawman, circular reasoning, and circumstancial evidence. Evolutionists and politicians and, sadly, christians, all make these mistakes way too often.

I have considered jsut lettignthe discussion drop at every round, but God has quietly told me "If you, who have spent more than 20 years studying this issue, can not stand up for the truth, who can? Who will tell this person they have been lied to if you don't?" So I have continued and am enjoying it. I hope they answer my last post with some good questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I love to talk to my readers.

I do ask that there be no anonymous commenters, though. If I am brave enough to put my name on this blog, you should be too:-)

Please keep it civil. Remember we are all human and make mistakes, and that since we can't see each other's faces or hear each other's tone of voice, it is very hard to get the emotion in what we are saying each other. Use lots of emoticons! :-) And show grace and love to each other.