Thursday, June 25, 2009

Let me tell you about a few homeschool families I have known.

1) Wife to a man in prison (so in practice a single mother) two children. Homeschooled for two years.
2) Widow living on social security. Homeschooled only daughter for three years.
3) Couple, seven children, both working fast food. Lived in a house, to use her words, “My whole house could fit in your kitchen, dinning and living rooms.” (and my house is only 1400’) Homeschooled all of their children, last I heard was still at it- six years now.
4) Single mom, teenage daughter with health problems keeping her out of school. Homeschooled for one year until daughter was well…while working full time.
5) Couple, three small children, 900’ double wide, 50’s era home. He works. She saves. They homeschool the school age one.
6) Couple, two children and one on the way, living in hotels, homeschooled faithfully.
7) Same couple two years and two children later, seven months in a 32’ camp trailer with four children. Homeschooled the whole time.


People who tell me the can’t “afford” to homeschool have universally had two incomes, bigger houses than any of these people, newer cars (some of the above didn’t even own a car), newer clothes, more frequent vacations, and more toys. Yet somehow, they can’t “afford” to homeschool.

Explain this.

1 comment:

  1. Great comments.

    Another way to look at homeschooling costs, given the costs of homeschooling (which are signficant), what do you think the costs are of NOT homeschooling your child...and are you willing to bear THOSE costs?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I love to talk to my readers.

I do ask that there be no anonymous commenters, though. If I am brave enough to put my name on this blog, you should be too:-)

Please keep it civil. Remember we are all human and make mistakes, and that since we can't see each other's faces or hear each other's tone of voice, it is very hard to get the emotion in what we are saying each other. Use lots of emoticons! :-) And show grace and love to each other.