Monday, June 29, 2009

Who should teach a woman what she needs to know?

“The aged women likewise, that they be in behavior as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things;
“4 That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,
“5 To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed.” Titus 2:3

Who is supposed to teach a woman what she needs to know for life? The Bible gives four answers to that.

First of all, God teaches us through His word. We should study our Bibles for ourselves to learn what it says. God teaches us directly.

Secondly, parents are supposed to teach their children (Proverbs 6:7 and Ephesians 6). This is God's designated way for all children to learn. We were all once children. It was our parent's job to teach us and prepare us for the future.

Thirdly, our husbands are supposed to teach us (1Corinthians 14:35 “And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home:”) We pass from being under the headship of our parents to being under our husband's (who we have chosen) headship. This is also God's ordained plan.
Fourth,

“The aged women likewise... That they may teach the young women.” Titus 2

Older women are to teach younger women. No where in the Bible does it say for women to go to televangelists, famous authors, well known preachers, media personalities, wikipedia, etc, to learn about their calling in life. You go to older women. Now, God does use our modern books and internet sometimes. This is a way older women can teach even more women. But if at all possible, you should find a Godly older woman near you to teach you His ways in person. Though I am only 41, I am qualified to be an older woman in many ways. First of all, of course, if you were born after 1967, that makes me older. But also, I gave my heart to the Lord at age 4. That means I am 37 years a Christian (Yes, I understood even at that young age what I was saying when I committed my life to Him. I remember the incident clearly.) This doesn't mean I haven't made mistakes in that time, but I have continually grown in the Lord and studied to “show myself approved unto God a workman that needth not be ashamed.” There are few that have spent as many years in God's flock as I have. I am not bragging, just stating fact. Does this give me the responsibility of being the older woman, even to women chronologically older than I am? In some cases, I think it may. (Ekkk!! Scary thought!)

God has placed a call on my heart to minister to women. This call takes many forms, but especially teaching. It is my job to give the information that I have learned over many years of study to other woman that have not been blessed with the resources to hunt it out for themselves. This is teaching. I hope my blogs can be a help to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I love to talk to my readers.

I do ask that there be no anonymous commenters, though. If I am brave enough to put my name on this blog, you should be too:-)

Please keep it civil. Remember we are all human and make mistakes, and that since we can't see each other's faces or hear each other's tone of voice, it is very hard to get the emotion in what we are saying each other. Use lots of emoticons! :-) And show grace and love to each other.