Friday, August 20, 2010

Pregnancy Books

My first recommendation is for when you first think you are pregnant, or better yet, before you are pregnant. "Naturally Healthy Pregnancy" by Shonda Parker tells you all about nutrition and what practices will help you have a safe enjoyable pregnancy and baby all from a godly perspective. In fact, every woman should have all of Mrs. Parkers books. They are full of information on nutrition, diseases, herbs, and so much more! With these books, you can effectivly manage your families health, One important part of being a Home Maker.

Next I would recommend every pregnant woman to read "The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth" by Henci Goer. I just finished this book. It is full of information on the modern birth business; what is called normal and what really is. Unfortunately in America you need to know a great deal in order to insure your baby gets here as safely as possible. This book is a great resource!

Third is "Ina May's Guide to Childbirth." The first half of this book is full of true, natural birth stories (there is some nudity, but it is all in the context of baby arriving). Reading this type of book helped my seventh birth to be nearly painless. I was immersed in the world of birth and all fear was gone. This lack of fear is what allowed my body to do its job without the fear-caused pain that is so normal in America (but not elsewhere in the world).

Accompany these great books with Riki Lake's video "The Business of Being Born" and Jack Newman's "Guide to Breastfeeding" (a video- google it) and you are prepared to meet your baby!

(Many EXPECT a certain book to be recommended in any review like this. I had a copy once. Shreaded it after reading the first 47 pages. It's a commercial for medicalized, fear-based, "surrender your body to the man" because we-all-know-that-doctors-know-more-than-God-about-how-a-baby-ought-to-be-born type birth. It is full of half truths, propaganda [at least the first 47 pages were] and I found some outright lies. I do NOT recommend this book. I EXPECT you can figure out which one I mean).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I love to talk to my readers.

I do ask that there be no anonymous commenters, though. If I am brave enough to put my name on this blog, you should be too:-)

Please keep it civil. Remember we are all human and make mistakes, and that since we can't see each other's faces or hear each other's tone of voice, it is very hard to get the emotion in what we are saying each other. Use lots of emoticons! :-) And show grace and love to each other.