Monday, August 03, 2009

Emotions Follow Decisions.

I am firmly believe that.

Now I don’t think it is generally something we just wake up some morning and decide:

“Hmmm, I think I’ll love liver today!”

“I have decided to not love my hubby anymore.”

“I choose to not love God.”

Generally, the emotion of love is the result of a series of choices to act lovingly or not.

The best example I know:
A man and woman decide to date. They each make an effort to give the other gifts, talk politely, treat each other as if they are special. With each choice to ACT LOVE they grow closer to FEELING LOVE. One day they realize they are so “in love” they can’t live without each other.

After a couple of years, they quite trying so hard to do the things they did during their dating time. The wife may decide one day she is too tired to fix his favorite meal. He may decide he is too busy to remember her birthday. These are decisions to not ACT LOVE. After a few more years they wake up some morning to realize they don’t FEEL LOVE. Did the emotion just die? No. Death was the result of a series of decisions to not act love.

If the couple were to decide to ACT LOVE even though they don’t FEEL LOVE over time, that feeling of love would return.

This principle applies to all emotions. The decision to act slowly builds the emotion, whatever it is.

Most in our country get this whole concept backwards. They think emotions are some magical spell that we have no control over. They make all their decisions based on these “uncontrollable emotions.” And then they wonder why things go wrong and their emotions change so fast a furiously.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I love to talk to my readers.

I do ask that there be no anonymous commenters, though. If I am brave enough to put my name on this blog, you should be too:-)

Please keep it civil. Remember we are all human and make mistakes, and that since we can't see each other's faces or hear each other's tone of voice, it is very hard to get the emotion in what we are saying each other. Use lots of emoticons! :-) And show grace and love to each other.