Thursday, June 09, 2011

VBAC vs. Repeat Cesarean: "Try on" both choices

VBAC vs. Repeat Cesarean: "Try on" both choices - The Unnecesarean -

IF a doctor presents both options (vaginal birth after c-section or vbac vs elective repeat c-section or ercs) and tells the client the benifits and potintial complication of each WITH the statistical complication of each (including for the next pregnancy), and the woman chooses a ercs, I am sure she has made the best choice for herself and her baby and I wish her all the luck.

However this is not what usually happens. Usually the Dr says "You can try a vbac if you want but your uterus might rupture and you and baby might DIE." Never mind the risk of rupture is only about 1.5% and ercs has just as many and just as likely complications. The client isn't told about these.

This is NOT informed consent. It is blatent manipulation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I love to talk to my readers.

I do ask that there be no anonymous commenters, though. If I am brave enough to put my name on this blog, you should be too:-)

Please keep it civil. Remember we are all human and make mistakes, and that since we can't see each other's faces or hear each other's tone of voice, it is very hard to get the emotion in what we are saying each other. Use lots of emoticons! :-) And show grace and love to each other.