Monday, August 19, 2013

All's fair

We went to two fairs last week with a night's camping between. Beautiful country, beautiful weather.

We have noticed that since the economic downturn there have not only been fewer animals but a smaller variety. So sad. I enjoy seeing the different breeds.

The Yolo fair did have a nice herd of Milking Shorthorns. Had to have been around 1600lb each! SOOOOO beautiful!

We would love to have live stock again. I feel better mentally when I do and I know that at least one of my children does too. Besides, the weeds are taking over. We need some serious "weed eating" done, preferably by the all organic, self propelled kind of weed eater with automatic fertilizing attachment.








Almost have the reading list done for the Robinson method of homeschooling. Had one child pick a book off it today. I think it will be better in many ways.

Need to figure out what I am doing for spelling, though. I am a horrid speller, so I have no trust on this subject for any curriculum really. Don't know what a good speller looks like at each age, either.

I think I will have Jon (15.5) copy the Bluedorn's "Encoder/Decoder" and then read "The ABCs and all their tricks." These books have helped my spelling more than anything else. Joe (14) will probably also go that route.

The problem is the little girls (12-6). Do I just wait until they are old enough for these books, maybe making them practice words they miss in other writing, or do I continue with "All About Spelling" that I've been using this year? I like it's rule-based format and the way the teacher's guide is laid out. I DON'T like that the children's boxes with spelling words and phonograms keeps getting spilled making us start all over:-P And the teaching style doesn't really fit me and I knew that when I bought it.

Maybe I could tweak the program. Hmmmm. Have each child copy each rule in a notebook. Then I test them on their new sounds, rules and words. Any they miss go in the notebook to practice until they pass them. Hmmm, It's a thought.

We do need to go ahead and start writing. I got my older kids blog addy's today. I haven't had a chance to really look them over yet, but the articles look way too short. So I need to add in paper writing, too. Do I start youngest to oldest or the other way around. Decisions, decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I love to talk to my readers.

I do ask that there be no anonymous commenters, though. If I am brave enough to put my name on this blog, you should be too:-)

Please keep it civil. Remember we are all human and make mistakes, and that since we can't see each other's faces or hear each other's tone of voice, it is very hard to get the emotion in what we are saying each other. Use lots of emoticons! :-) And show grace and love to each other.