Thursday, August 29, 2013

Camping

Today we need to start getting ready for our annual camping trip. Mostly, today, that will mean making the shopping lists. We will go twice before leaving and need to have both lists made and all the coupons pulled. I can't hardly wrap my brain around it. Can't wait until I can go back to normal lists and shopping.

Not that I don't enjoy camping. Other than kindles (which I count as books) no electronics are allowed. So everyone actually visits and enjoys each other and God's creation. Even if we could afford something else, I would want to go camping. I just enjoy being out in nature with my family.

We will do more cooking this time. Uncooked food is cheaper, healthier and, most importantly, takes up WAY less room! Since Whitey (15 passenger van) is broke (bad tranny) we will be going in my parent's Brownie (12 passenger van). We loose a whole seat of space:-( Brownie does have a bigger trunk, but there will be three people per row instead of two which makes it a good deal more crowded.

We use a rook rack with roof bags for the sleeping bags and tents. We have a luggage rack that fits in the trailer hitch for the ice chests and miscellaneous stuff that is too awkward for inside. Everything else goes under and between seats.

We pack light.

We haven't decided where we will go this time. Just anywhere out of the smoke!








We live about an hour away from Reno. We haven't seen the sun in days!Photo: Rim Fire - near Yosemite National Park 

STATISTICS
* Started on August 17, 2013
* As of 8/26: Burned more than 160,000 acres
   (that's more than 250 square miles - about the size of Chicago)
* Largest fire in the history of the Sierra Mountains
* 7th largest fire in California state history
* more than 3,700 firefighters on the scene
* sadly, only 20% contained
* CA Governor Jerry Brown has declared a state of emergency

The city of Reno (where I live) is in the direct path of the smoke plume. We have had unhealthful air quality for more than 5 days. Today (Tuesday 8/27) was the worse. I actually had to take Joey to the doctor for respiratory problems today. He will stay home from school tomorrow. I bought him a humidifier tonight so he will rest more comfortably.

Pray for the firefighters and families who are more directly affected by this fire. It's a real bad one, folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I love to talk to my readers.

I do ask that there be no anonymous commenters, though. If I am brave enough to put my name on this blog, you should be too:-)

Please keep it civil. Remember we are all human and make mistakes, and that since we can't see each other's faces or hear each other's tone of voice, it is very hard to get the emotion in what we are saying each other. Use lots of emoticons! :-) And show grace and love to each other.