Saturday, February 18, 2012

Chickies

After having all our roosters butchered, we are left with 12 hens. They are two years old now, so their production will perminantly drop next fall.

We decided to set up a permanant rotaion. We will buy 7 new chicks every spring and butcher 7 old hens every fall, keeping our flock between 14 and 21 birds.

We just bought 7 White Rocks and 7 Golden Sex Link chicks.  Next fall, about the time these new ones begin producing, we will butcher all our current hens. Then the next year, half of these new ones. We'll buy 7 new chicks from completly different breeds every year so we can tell which ones to off. I think this will work great.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I love to talk to my readers.

I do ask that there be no anonymous commenters, though. If I am brave enough to put my name on this blog, you should be too:-)

Please keep it civil. Remember we are all human and make mistakes, and that since we can't see each other's faces or hear each other's tone of voice, it is very hard to get the emotion in what we are saying each other. Use lots of emoticons! :-) And show grace and love to each other.