Tuesday, February 07, 2012

Mice and Dogs

I resisted using kill mouse traps for a long time. Just didn't like them. We have a mouser cat and even our dog loves to hunt little critters. We keep things as clean as we can, but mice are just part of living in the country and Jiffy the dog and Susie the cat just can't keep up with them.

We tried live-catch traps with no success. I have sat in my chair and watched a mouse go right through the trap without even thinking of triggering the lock:-( I think our mice are too big to work with the traps (no, they aren't big enough to be rats. They are just healthy mice.)

I hate to admit we did use some poison many years ago, but that simply isn't a realistic option now with chickens, curious Jiffy, and toddlers around.

When I had to listen to a mouse nibbling on my piano during my entire labor with Joshua, I knew it was time to step things up.

We have set out old fashioned snap kill-traps. These usually kill instantly, so I feel they are more humane than glue traps.

Last night we heard a mouse (unfortunatly not unusual). We kept hearing it squeal so Jim (17) hunted down the noise. The trap caught the poor thing by the leg instead of killing it. He put it and the trap into a bucket to take it outside to put it out of its misery. Jiffy ran up, snatched it out of the trap and the bucket and carried it off! With all the shouting and everything we got him to take it outside. It was acctually dead quicker than if Jim had taken care of it, so I guess it wasn't so bad. But we were all tramatized.

And people wonder why I won't let the dog lick my baby:-(

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I love to talk to my readers.

I do ask that there be no anonymous commenters, though. If I am brave enough to put my name on this blog, you should be too:-)

Please keep it civil. Remember we are all human and make mistakes, and that since we can't see each other's faces or hear each other's tone of voice, it is very hard to get the emotion in what we are saying each other. Use lots of emoticons! :-) And show grace and love to each other.