Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Getting a cow

First we have to get ready.
The work crew is ready.
Joe-11, Jane-3, Jessie-9, Jon-12, Jenn-7, Jackie-6

The Milk Shed is ready.
Our facilities are not fancy, but they do the job.
The water trough is ready.

The chief milker is ready.
Joy is 18 and loves farm animals.
We're ready to make butter.

We're ready to make yogurt.

We're ready to make cheese.

We're especially ready to milk.

And to strain the milk
(it is inevitable that some hair falls in the milk during milking.)

Jiffy is excited.
 ("Cows, my favorite thing! Did you know there's a squirrel in the wood stack? Squirrels are my favorite thing! We're going in to take a nap by the heater? Taking naps by the heater is my favorite thing!")

Susie, not so much.
("Why would I care if we get a cow?")

Velvet is a little scared.

But Betsy is curious.
Satin wouldn't even let me take her picture.


Let's go get a cow!
The Dairy owner, Newell Mills, decided to let me come pick the one I wanted form several candidates.
"Can I come home with you?"

Miss Rosie Dawn gets a new home.
Rosie is nine years old, due to calve in July and has wonderful dairy conformation! One of the hands told me she was the gentlest of the possiblilities.
Our Bonus!
Rosie adopted George (named by my three year old) as her own calf taking care of feeding and protecting him all by herself. She is a good little momma.
Milking time!
I have never met a gentler cow. Some kicking is to be expected in a new situation, but Rosie hasn't kicked once. She also hasn't put her foot in the bucket at all (a common form of entertainment among hand-milked cows).
Strain it well.

Churning butter.
We are getting around three cups of cream per gallon of milk! This is why I love Jerseys.
Washing the milk out of the butter.

Butter's done.

"Do we have enough cream for ice cream yet?."
Jim 15

"You mean I don't have to buy any more milk at the store?"




"A tremendous monster has moved into our home! Save us from the MooMoo!"

Rosie and the chickens are going to take some time to get used to each other.


Thanks to the "Rob, Arnie and Dawn Show" for this blessed Christmas present. She is much loved and will be a great help to our family.

And thank you God for Your provision.










No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I love to talk to my readers.

I do ask that there be no anonymous commenters, though. If I am brave enough to put my name on this blog, you should be too:-)

Please keep it civil. Remember we are all human and make mistakes, and that since we can't see each other's faces or hear each other's tone of voice, it is very hard to get the emotion in what we are saying each other. Use lots of emoticons! :-) And show grace and love to each other.