Friday, October 11, 2013

The Government Shut Down

I have definit opinions on this whole issue, but sometimes it seems pointless to put in enough effort to put it in words. But I guess I'll give it a go....Tahoe I once looked up a graph of what the feds spend their money on. Then I looked up a graph of where their money comes from. If we eliminated all the programs and departments that are unconstitutional we could easily eliminate all the unconstitutional taxes. Imagine that!? Government, like fire, is essintial to life. But just like fire, we need to keep it as small and controled as possible to get the job done. If it is possible to do the job without fire OR government, we definitly should. For example, you could cut the wood to build a house with fire, but it would much more efficint as well as safer to use a saw. Yes, we could pay everyone's doctor bill with the government. But it would be much better (and safer!) to institute tort reform and some other simple measures that would allow the private sector to take care of it. So, in all, I think the Tea Party represenatives should have shut the government down more than a year ago. They should have held their ground then. Yes, some people would have suffered, but the over-all suffering would have been far less than what our kids will have to go through to pay for our extravegance. But now? I think it's really too late. It may very well be time to just step back and let it all go down. Right now the shut down is taking attention away from the implimentation of Obamacare. We need to clear the way so there is no excuse for the media to not cover this disaster. Now, before you begin to scream about me being some rich person who has their own insurance and doesn't care for the poor, let me clue you in; I haven't had insurance for 13 years but now qualify for medicaid due to ObamaCare. My oldest child too (the others were already covered). So we actually benefit with OC. But I would give it up in a moment for the betterment of my country and the future of my kids. The government should provide military protection and punish wrong-doers. Everything else should be taken care of through families, churches, communities and charities. I like Dr Ben Carson's sugestion to just begin cutting all government 10% across the board every year. It would be a start. But ultimatly we need to shut down many, many programs. Yes, some people will loose their jobs. I am sorry for that. But as the government shrinks, so do the taxes. This allows businesses to put money into hiring more people, even more than would loose their jobs through government trim down. It's a hard prescription, but our children need us to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I love to talk to my readers.

I do ask that there be no anonymous commenters, though. If I am brave enough to put my name on this blog, you should be too:-)

Please keep it civil. Remember we are all human and make mistakes, and that since we can't see each other's faces or hear each other's tone of voice, it is very hard to get the emotion in what we are saying each other. Use lots of emoticons! :-) And show grace and love to each other.