Thursday, February 17, 2011

Breastfeeding Links

Breastfeeding is Offensive



Some women choose to bottle feed their babies so they can get more sleep. This report tells us a recent study shows they simply don't.
Video Landing Page - KTVN Channel 2 - Reno Tahoe News Weather, Video -

The Well-Rounded Mama: Breastfeeding Lowers the Risk for Diabetes And Other Maternal Disease Later In Life

Baby Public Breastfeeding Naysayers: Your Guide On How to Deal With the Sight of a Baby Eating

A guide to getting off on the right foot when breastfeeding. If you have ANY problems, contact me or get in touch with LaLeche League. BREAST IS BEST! God knows better than scientists what a baby needs to eat.

Hey Mom! How Breastfeeding Benefits Mothers' Health

Anna refutes a rabbi's uninformed ideas about breastfeeding
Domestic Felicity: Does breastfeeding ruin marriages?

More from Anna on yesterday's subject of breastfeeding and marriage.

At these rates, I should live forever,LOL.
How Breastfeeding Benefits Mothers' Health: Scientific American

I "nursed" my oldest for a very short time and my second for six months. All my others have nursed for close to or more than a year. Some one near by who knew what was going on could have helped me to nurse my oldest for longer, but there was no one available. I couldn't go looking for help because my grandma was in thehospital dying at that moment. I just didn't have the emotional reserves to deal with hunting for help. My mom had similar problems and only nursed my brother and I for a very short time, also.

Do I regret putting her on the bottle? No. Don't get me wrong, I wish I could have continued to breastfeed. But I know that under the same circumstances with the same resources and knowledge, I would make the same choice today.

But I don't have the same resources and knowledge today. When my youngest (of 8) was a newbie we had some definit problems (she was "toungue-tied" OUCH!), but this time I had a ready knowledge base, a shelf full of reference books, and a midwife who knew and cared about our nursing experience. I had to tough it out for a few days, but I nursed her until after her first birthday.

My goal to to make that bank of information available to all women so fewer will find themselves in the same boat was in with my first.

(Oh and having done both bottle and nursing, I can tell you that nursing is WAY easier, erasing any possible benifits from having others help you feed baby, unless you work full time which is a whole different story.)

Watch Your Language- How we speak affects how we think.

Great article. I haven't read the rest of the site, but enjoyed this account of a Canadian woman breastfeeding in Mongolia.

God designed the breast for two purposes: keeping our hubbies’ attention and feeding our babies. Most of don’t need help with the first;-) The second, thanks to several generations of artificial breastmilk (formula) babies, is a little more difficult. Most of us never saw anyone breastfeed before we had our own babies and didn’t know you must hold the child different and do different things to breastfeed than to bottlefeed. It really is a learned skill, for both mom and baby.

My e-friend, Anna, has posted this list of things to help breastfeeding be successful. Enjoy:-)

101 Reasons to breastfeed.
Neat video, though you need to read fast.

Love It!
"There are three reasons for breastfeeding: the milk is always at the right temperature; it comes in attractive containers; and the cat can't get it."
— Irena Chalmers

Public Perceptions of Breastfeeding
I agree whole heartedly!

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=bottlefeeding-mimics-mourning - Not breastfeeding makes the body think Baby has died.

Be carful who you pick on! http://www.politicsdaily.com/2010/06/08/nursing-in-public-americans-need-to-get-over-their-embarrassmen/?sms_ss=email

It’s not about picking on moms, it’s about breaking down societal barriers PhD in Parenting

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I love to talk to my readers.

I do ask that there be no anonymous commenters, though. If I am brave enough to put my name on this blog, you should be too:-)

Please keep it civil. Remember we are all human and make mistakes, and that since we can't see each other's faces or hear each other's tone of voice, it is very hard to get the emotion in what we are saying each other. Use lots of emoticons! :-) And show grace and love to each other.