Thursday, January 16, 2014

Trust

One blog I read frequently asks God for a word of the year each January. Her word for this year is "Go."

It occured to me to do the same thing, and before the thought was hardly formed God gave me the word "Trust."

This is hard.

A little background.


I don't post a lot of personal stuff on the internet. First of all, you all probably aren't really interested in how many dirty diapers I change, snotty noses I wipe, or how many years I have been teaching phonics (20 by the way. This will be the first year in that long I have no one the right age to need some sort of daily phonics instruction. Weird)

Secondly, it really isn't your business:-) Our culture has kind of lost that distinction, but some things are precious enough to keep to yourself and those you actually look in the face.

But to summerize some of it, we are the type of family that doesn't run to the doctor for every little thing. I research and know the symptoms of real problems, understand that God designed our bodies to heal themselves if at all possible, and trust Hubby to have a clear enough head to know when something is serious by the information I give him (he isn't scatterbrained like I am:-) But in the last 18 months I have dealt with:
  • My Mom's emergency gallbladder surgery
  • My Mom's breast cancer (including surgery, chemo, and radiation)
  • My Dad's pneumonia
  • My Dad's severe hip pain (which he is still seeking treatment for. They ruled out the least invasive method yesterday.
  • Hubby's 2 month long bought with gout
  • 3 flues and a cold running through the children
  • My 15yo's appendix bursting with a 9 day hospital stay.
  • Hubby breaking his arm at work
  • One child breaking out in hives nearly everyday (It was after special prayer for her and for wisdom for me that I saw it was after she washed dishes she had her worst break outs. We now use hypoallergenic dish soap and I am working to replace all cleaners in the house with homemade versions that no one is allergic to.)
  • Close to 20 cavities discovered among my kids (we just now found a doctor that could take our insurance. First time in years.)
  • 2 kids need root canals. Now I have to start over finding another dentist, since this one doesn't do root canals.
  • 1 dc needs his wisdom teeth removed. This dentist doesn't do those either.
  • My 14yo put his hand down on a sewing needle which broke off in his hand. We are now waiting for insurance approval to have a CT scan and surgery to remove it (maybe). Meanwhile, his hand is wrapped like it's broke to keep him from moving it and the needle moving, possibly into a major artery or nerve.
  • My favorite uncle discovered he had liver cancer and passed away within two months, the Monday after Thanksgiving.
  • Add to this that before the economic crash Hubby got 54 checks and a small raise a year (his company believes in profit sharing) but since there hasn't been any profits in about 6 years. Since then we have only had 52 checks and one raise (and one of those years he only worked 4 days a week instead of 5), all while costs continue to go up. So things are a bit, uhhh, uncomfortable around here. (But he IS working, which is more than many in our church and community can say!)
  • The new insurance laws have me dealing with getting insurance for my oldest and I for the first time in years. Blahhh...
  • I am having some health concerns myself, though nothing I think is major (except the toothaches, but that won't be covered by the new insurance anyway.)
(most of this is in the last 6 months)

Through all this, my Hubby has been my rock. I have leaned on him, cried on his shoulder, yelled to (not at) him in frustration. He has held strong.

When the kids are sick, I explain to him what is going on and the options. He makes the main decisions.

Oh, I'm not perfect. I have times I just barge on ahead without really consulting him. I am always sorry when I do though.

So this year, God has called me to not only trust Him to love and guide and provide, but to trust my Hubby even more. To be more open to his God-given wisdom and perspective.

This is why God gave me my man. I need him very much. I don't know how I would do all this without him. This is what marriage is about; helping each other, being one team, not warring factions. Working together for the accomplishment of the goals God has given us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I love to talk to my readers.

I do ask that there be no anonymous commenters, though. If I am brave enough to put my name on this blog, you should be too:-)

Please keep it civil. Remember we are all human and make mistakes, and that since we can't see each other's faces or hear each other's tone of voice, it is very hard to get the emotion in what we are saying each other. Use lots of emoticons! :-) And show grace and love to each other.