Thursday, April 03, 2014

Learn spanish

I have always wanted to know Spanish and always wanted the children to learn it. Unfortunately, we have no one in our daily lives who speaks it. I do have a sister-in-law whose native language is Spanish and a brother who is very fluent, but we only see them a couple of times a year. I did take Spanish in high school, but that was nearly 30 (!) years ago.

In our homeschool I have tried Power Glide (audio tapes and workbooks). That worked ok, but not good enough. The limits of the medium plus my putting other subjects (like rading, math, and history) higher on the priority list interfered with its success. The same applied to some smaller programs I tried.

I finally bit the bullet and bought Rosetta Stone. It was WONDERFUL! We all learned a great deal:-)!

Until the computer crashed.

Then I discovered a major problem with this very expensive program; everytime you have to re-register a computer everyone has to start all over.

Talk about discouraging:-(

Now, Rosetta Stone has recently added an online version where all your progress is saved on the cloud, but at $60 a month....

Uhh, NO!

We are very rich...in children, not money.

Money we don't have.

So I have been on the look out for something to replace RS with.

Thanks to an eFriend on Facebook I think I have found what we need.

 Duo Lingo functions very much like RS. It isn't anywhere near as fancy or expensive/proffessional looking, but it is entierly free and contained on the internet (so you not only don't lose your progress if your computer crashes, you can access it from any computer! RS only let us load onto two computers at a time and with this many people that just wasn't enough.)

So if you are interested in learning another language (they have more than just Spanish), be sure to check out Duo Lingo!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I love to talk to my readers.

I do ask that there be no anonymous commenters, though. If I am brave enough to put my name on this blog, you should be too:-)

Please keep it civil. Remember we are all human and make mistakes, and that since we can't see each other's faces or hear each other's tone of voice, it is very hard to get the emotion in what we are saying each other. Use lots of emoticons! :-) And show grace and love to each other.