Tuesday, May 06, 2014

Racisim.

"In any case, the premise is self defeating. It contradicts itself. You’re being prejudiced against white men by saying they can’t have an opinion about a subject, and then justifying the prejudice by claiming that they’ve never felt prejudice. The minute you play that card, you lose it — even though you never really had it."


Good article and time we addressed this.

"rac·ism- ˈrāˌsizəm/
noun
        The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.
        prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior."

How is the attitude towards white men in this country not racism? How is "racial quotas" not racist by definition?

And the so-called "white privilege?" This attitude assumes all whites came to this country on the Mayflower with loads of money (really, read your history. They were all poor), owned plantations and slaves, and have inherited a great deal of wealth from their parents.

My ancestors came to this country AFTER the Civil War (from famine ravaged Holland, Germany, Poland, and Ireland), were all dirt poor, migrant farm workers (my Dad can tell you all about picking cotton by hand.) Both my parents (2nd or 3rd generation Americans) had times growing up when they didn't know where their next meal would come from, and my Dad didn't always GET that next meal. He knows very well what it's like to be a hungry child.

Everything my parents have they got by hard, physical labor and thrifty living. Yes, today they are "comfortable," (not rich by any definition of the word, but comfortable), but it's because we did without many things while growing up, (though I never went without food or housing.)

Yes, my blond-haired, blue-eyed bother got a BA. He worked full time  (as a convenience store clerk, cashier, etc.) all the way through college to pay for it, too.

I could have gone to college (certainly had the grades for it), but decided I didn't want to. Had  better things to do (like actually learning! I have spent my time and money reading, reading, reading, instead of staring gaga eyed at some teacher lecturing. Since I'm NOT an auditory learner, I have learned way more this way than I would have in lecture halls). I would have had to work, though, to afford college just like my brother did.

This is somehow privilage?

Well maybe it is. 
I inherited a strong work ethic from my parents.
Many didn't.

I inherited a "suck it up and don't make excuses. If you want it, work for it" attitude.
And I thank my parents for that.

That is what has made them what they are, what has made my brother what he is (High School special-special ed teacher, head of the special ed department in the district, one of the worship leaders in a mega church, and now dad to seven children.) It is what made me what I am (mom to nine, homeschooler, book author, worship leader in our tiny church, homemaker (OK, maybe I shouldn't brag about that one, looking around the house this Monday morning), web master, amateur herbalist, and wife for 28 years to one great man.)

If you haven't achieved your goals, maybe you need to look deeper than the color of your skin. Maybe you need to look at the "content of [your] character"



"I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men (including black, yellow, red and, yes, white men- BeST) are created equal."

I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia, the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood.

I have a dream that one day even the state of Mississippi (may I take the liberty of assuming he also meant "the Great Country of America"?), a state sweltering with the heat of injustice, sweltering with the heat of oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice.

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character. 

I have a dream today!"

So do I, Rev. King. So do I.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I love to talk to my readers.

I do ask that there be no anonymous commenters, though. If I am brave enough to put my name on this blog, you should be too:-)

Please keep it civil. Remember we are all human and make mistakes, and that since we can't see each other's faces or hear each other's tone of voice, it is very hard to get the emotion in what we are saying each other. Use lots of emoticons! :-) And show grace and love to each other.